Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Mint juleps and girl bonding


Tonight was my book club meeting. I almost didn't make it. Just as Bug and I pulled out of the driveway, we heard tornado sirens. We were already feeling a little off center because it was raining . . . . . maybe only the sixth time that's happened since we moved here and the first time that I've actually seen rain puddling on the roads. But then . . . the sirens. Being from Little Rock, we knew to take them seriously, so we quickly pulled back into the garage and ran upstairs to turn on the TV and computer to see what was going on . . . tornado warning . . . . one spotted, but it seemed to be north of here. The sirens then stopped, so we headed back on our way. I'm so glad I did. Again, this group of women are so lively and empowering. And tonight there were new faces from the last meeting. The book we discussed was "Cold Sassy Tree" by Olive Ann Burns. It's a great read of the South in the early 1900's. Highly recommend it. So, our hostess, Christa, made wonderful mint juleps for us, with mint she grew in her herb garden. It was a wonderful diversion from the 2 weeks of studying at night I've done recently for an ethics licensing exam I have to take on Friday. I probably should have been home studying tonight but, for maybe the first time in my academic and professional career, I put fun over business. I've never been too good of taking care of me if there was work to be done, but . . . . slowly . . . . I'm trying to change that.

But now, I'm home, Bug is in bed, I've checked email and updated this Blog, so it's back to studying. It will be over in 2 days, thankfully.

No comments: