Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I did it . . . I rode my bicycle to work today . . .

It was National Bike to Work Day and, for the first time in my life, I participated. And it was really fun this morning, although there were goofballs out on the road that clearly weren't familiar with biking rules and fools without helmets . . . but overall a very nice experience. Channel 9 and some other sponsors had breakfast stations along the Cherry Creek path, which is the route I took into the city, but I was nervous about getting to work on time and being able to get one of the bike slots in my garage, so I pedaled through. The trip back home was more difficult . . . I was mentally drained from work, the backpack on my back seemed to have gained 10 pounds, I was pedaling against the wind, and it was hot. I'm not really use to Denver being so warm. But, the most important thing is that I did it.

I had 2 letters and a picture from Bug when I got home today. She sounds like she's having a blast. She has a favorite horse, Rafter, and has learned how to trot with him. She's also been digging for crystals and making candles. And . . . there was a dance earlier this week . . . and apparently the boys from the High Trails camp thought my Bug was great dance partner material. Hmm . . . not sure how I feel about those boys and dances . . . (would have loved to have been a fly on the wall though . . . LOL)

I had a very nice letter, too, from her counselor that detailed how Bug has been helping out and participating in all of the activities, and finally there was a letter from the directors that quoted Richard Louv and Graham Greene about the importance of children spending time in the natural world, away from cell phones, computers, and TV's. It was a wonderful letter. The quote from Graham Greene has stayed with me all evening, "There is always one moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in." How incredible is that? I wonder if Bug has had that kind of experience these past 2 weeks as she's been learning how entirely capable she is out in the natural environment. Although I'm always questioning whether I'm a good enough mother, or whether I given her the right opportunities, or have I hampered her too terribly by not having found "the guy" who will love us and share his life with us . . . but today . . . after reading her letters and the ones from the counselor and directors, and pondering Greene's words . . . I thought to myself, "you did good, Rhonda, by letting her have this chance to grow and find her strength, away from you". I'm hoping her door has opened and let the future in for her to embrace.

No comments: