Sunday, June 29, 2008

Unity Party in LoDo

Last night, I went to a "Unity Party" hosted by a LoDo couple. My friends, Rick and Beth, invited me. It was the most interesting, eclectic group of people. When we got off of the elevator to go to the loft where the event was being held, I was startled by a life-size cutout of Barack Obama . . . because the light from the loft windows was behind him, I could NOT tell it was a cutout and was very . . . well . . . startled. There were probably 20 people inside, ranging from ages 23 to somewhere in their 70's. The husband-wife couple hosting were completely charming. She's from Brazil and holds citizenship in the U.S. and Brazil. He's from England, and is not able to vote in this country, but passionate about it's politics. There was an elderly woman from Germany who stated that she would obtain citizenship in the U.S. ONLY if Obama is elected president. She and the Englishman both gave impassioned speeches about the U.S.'s reputation in Europe. Apparently, 4000 "Unity Parties" were being held across the U.S. yesterday. The volunteer representative assigned to "our" party was 23 years old, graduated from Brown University and immediately joined the Obama campaign as a volunteer and moved from New York to Denver to stay through the election. She was the most poised, well-spoken young woman I've ever encountered in that age range --- she was so well-versed on the issues, fielded questions from all of us "older folks" . . . and none of them were "softball questions". Two precinct captains were there who spoke about Obama, and there was a video presentation. Very interesting evening, very grass roots. Afterwards, my friends and I joined one of the precinct captains and two of his friends for most wonderful margeritas and an excellent dinner at Tamayo, on the upper deck patio. Almost a 4-hour dinner outside under the stars, with a breeze, great conversation, lots of laughter . . . it was a truly wonderful evening.

And the best part of all . . . BUG'S HOME!!!!!!! I woke up at 5:00 a.m., walked the dogs, showered, and headed to Florissant to pick her up at Sanborn Western Camp. I think I was the first parent to arrive. LOL She grew exponentially at this camp. The skills she learned with a horse, alone, just amaze me. And I saw this horse, and he is HUGE!! And she saddled and bridled him all by herself. We had a wonderful Thai dinner tonight . . . she said she had not had Asian food in two weeks . . . lol . . . I suspect that's true! Lots of s'mores though. I will sleep easier tonight with my kiddo safe and sound at home. :)

No comments: