Friday, June 27, 2008

Moon River . . . wider than a mile




Finally . . . I've started playing the piano again, and Moon River is my favorite song to play . . . and one of the few I can remember without going back to the sheet music.

My piano tuner, Dennis, told me the move from Arkansas to Colorado was VERY stressful (he said this often as though I was a bad piano parent) on the piano. Apparently, going from the humid climate of Arkansas to the desert of Colorado had a huge impact on all of its "insides". ??? I've had it tuned twice and worked on extensively, and now it sounds . . . okay. So I've started playing again.

In my house in Little Rock, I had a huge bedroom and had the piano in there with me and I loved it there. Could put Bug to bed upstairs at night, come down and go back to my suite, close the door, and play for long periods of time. It's very soothing to make music with your own hands. I use to play the flute as well, but "lost my lip" as well as my memory for the keys. But the piano is coming back to me. I'm working on Pachelbel's Canon and some other classical pieces. Would love to play jazz, but probably need lessons for that.

The past two weeks, being alone, have allowed me the time to focus on the piano again. . . . A little gift to myself. :)

No comments: