Monday, June 2, 2008

(Not) wishing on a star

I just came inside from sitting out on the balcony. It's late and quiet in the neighborhood. I was contemplating the stars. I don't think I've sat still and watched stars in a very long time. And they actually twinkle here. I don't remember ever seeing a star twinkle (despite the nursery rhyme song).
. . .
Is it because I'm closer to stars here (5280 feet above sea level)?
. . .
Or is it because, in the chaos of my adult life, I've never taken the time to sit for as long as I did tonight and contemplate the stars?
. . .
Did they twinkle when I was little and I just forgot?

And though they were beautiful, for some reason the stars brought sadness to my heart tonight. I felt very lonely out on that balcony, even with my two trusty companions, Cooper and Chloe right at my feet. I think the stars reminded me that I had promised myself to make an effort to quiet my life, and I haven't done a very good job of that. Of course, when you get quiet with yourself, you are forced to examine your life . . . . and that's not always easy. Necessary, yes . . . but never easy.

I've made so many wishes on stars that have never come true. Tonight, I didn't even have it in me to make a wish. . . . another night perhaps.

No comments: